CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Confessions of a New Kids Fan

I know what you all are thinking, that I am a huge dork. I don't deny it, but I must confess that long ago I was an avid New Kids on the Block fan. It all started in 4th grade with the cassette tape of "Hangin' Tough." I then continued to add to my collection with Teen Beat posters of the Kids and Mr. Jordan Knight. They were all over my bedroom and closet doors (mom wouldn't let me hang anything on the walls). Jordan was my first crush. I continued with my love affair of the New Kids through 5th grade. In Middle School the New Kids were not so cool anymore. I secretly was still a fan, but my love for them quickly faded. While in college I heard that Jordan Knight had released a solo album and Joey McIntyre released a Christian album. I was not interested enough to buy either album. The New Kids were dead...or so I thought.
This summer I heard on the radio that New Kids on the Block were getting back together for tour. I mentioned it at Sunday dinner to my sister-in-laws and joked that we should go to the concert. Crystal was interested in the concert, due to Natasha Bedingfield opening for them, but said that the tickets were a little high. I thought no more of it . . . until Jamie called. She had free tickets fall into her lap and wanted me to go with her. Finally, 10 year-old Lara's dream of seeing the New Kids live would come true. I was going to see Jordan, Jon, Joey, Danny, and Donnie!
We had a blast! I couldn't believe how the lyrics of songs that I hadn't heard in 20 or so years came back to me. They did all of their cheesy dance moves. However, their wardrobe was noticably updated. So, here's to the New Kids for making me feel like a 10 year-old again.

3 comments:

Renae said...

That is so awesome! I'd love to have seen your face :). There's nothing like fulfilling childhood dreams, right! We need to get together. I'd love to come down sometime in the next couple weeks if you are up for it.

Rebecca said...

NO WAY! I am jealous. I bet that was so much fun. I did want to go to that concert. I had New kids T-shirt and pillowcase and giant pin for my shirt. I love it. how fun

Anonymous said...

We had tickets as well. We, however, ended up turning them back in so that we could go to Matt's cousin's daughter's birthday party... oh wait! Your niece! Too bad we missed you, the party was a smashing good time!